Public Sector Paralegal
Business | Manchester
Public Sector Contracts Manager
|Salary Package:||£23,000 - £28,000|
This an exciting opportunity to join the in-house legal team at Softcat. We are a small, friendly, and supportive team based in Softcat’s Manchester office, but we work closely with colleagues across all our offices. We cover a range of commercial work across our public and private sector customer base and the corresponding supplier and distribution network.
Success. The Softcat way.
Softcat is a major UK success story in technology solutions. We’re a £1 billion+ pa turnover business with offices nationwide and a sterling industry reputation. We help customers to use technology to succeed, by putting our employees first. Our success is down to our people – and the platform we give them to prove their potential.
The continuing success and expansion of the business means the Legal team are becoming increasingly busy. We are looking for a commercial paralegal who can provide pragmatic, commercial and jargon-free legal advice to colleagues at all levels of the business.
You’ll have a proven background in providing advice on, and the negotiation of, customer and supplier contracts, as well as being experienced in working within a small team without the resources of a private practice lawyer, or confident enough to work on this basis. You’ll also need to be able to work flexibly and effectively to manage a varied workload and respond to changing priorities.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Advising on framework terms
- Reviewing and negotiating customer and supplier contracts to flow down framework terms
- Creating bespoke contracts where required e.g. referral agreements
- Delivering contract and mandatory regulatory training to account managers and the partner alliances team
- Providing ad hoc legal advice e.g. termination of contracts
- Supporting the development of our precedents and process improvements
- Helping manage the Legal inbox
What we need from you
- Legal training (law degree/GDL and LPC or equivalent e.g. working towards CILEX qualification)
- Experience of working with commercial contracts, including drafting, preparation, review and amendment; conducting negotiations; and advising on the effect of legal provisions
- Sound technical understanding of contract and tort law
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Confidence to work independently on own caseload and ability to work under pressure
- Enthusiasm for what we do and a willingness to take individual responsibility for ensuring legal knowledge is up-to-date and ongoing professional development
- In-house experience (through employment or secondment opportunities) or otherwise able to demonstrate a good understanding of the challenges faced by in-house lawyers and how to overcome them
Work in a way that works for you
We recognise that everyone is different and that the way in which people want to work and deliver at their best is different for everyone too. In this role, we can offer the following flexible working patterns:
Working remotely – from home up to 1 day per week, and we are happy to discuss further working from home requests
- Working remotely –from home up to 1 day per week, and we are happy to discuss further working from home requests
- Working flexible hours – we are flexible about your start and end times each day
We offer a good salary and benefits package including a pension scheme, life assurance, healthcare cash plan and access to Perklife, our dedicated portal for all things perks and benefits at Softcat. It’s designed to give you the flexibility and choice to suit your lifestyle and needs - there really is something for everyone. So whether it’s activity passes or technology discount vouchers you’re after, or you would prefer to buy extra holiday for yourself, or add your partner or family to some of the benefits… it’s entirely up to you. We’ll even give you an extra day’s holiday on top of your usual entitlement on your birthday.
To become part of the success story, please apply online now.
Softcat is an inclusive company where you can enjoy the career you want, without changing the person you are. We’re welcoming to all and passionate about promoting greater diversity in the tech sector.