US Financial and Accounting Assistant
Business | Arlington VA, United States
Competitive with excellent benefits
Softcat offers a big future to ambitious people in a diverse range of roles: sales, technology, business operations, with opportunities for graduates, apprentices, and experienced professionals. If you’re ready to give your all, Softcat is where you’ll get more from your career.
Success. The Softcat way.
Softcat is one of the UK’s most successful technology solutions businesses, and a company that feels like a family – with buzzing office locations, lots going on socially and a real sense of working together and achieving together.
As a Finance and Accounting Assistant, you will be responsible for managing the financial accounting and transaction processing elements of the Softcat US operations. The role is a local US based extension of Softcat’s UK based finance function, looking after Softcat’s US operations – as such the individual will need to develop close working relationships with UK based teams as well as support US based sales and business activity.
You will be part of a fast paced and exciting team and in addition to transaction processing, you will also assume responsibility for local, state & federal tax compliance, including state sales tax returns, working together with the UK based tax team and external advisors, management of the outsourced payroll bureau service and other general office administration tasks.
What you'll be doing
This is a brand-new position within our US office and will have an immediate impact on our operational capabilities. You will be responsible for several duties, tasks and initiatives which are expected to evolve as the office grows and matures. Tasks include:
- Working closely with the UK based credit control, credit assessment and accounts payable teams, you will manage the order-to-cash and procure-to-pay functions, ensuring the efficient collection of customer receipts and payment of suppliers.
- Managing the sales and purchase ledgers, dealing with, and resolving customer and supplier queries, ensuring day to day finance operations run smoothly
- Performing the credit control and cash collection function for our US customers, including liaising with customers to resolve queries, as necessary
- Ensuring prompt and accurate invoicing of customers, in accordance with Softcat’s revenue recognition policies
- Processing supplier invoices accurately, efficiently and in accordance with Softcat’s control framework
- Managing supplier accounts including the production of monthly supplier statement reconciliations, with queries identified and resolved promptly
- Creating payment runs, ensuring supplier invoices are paid to terms
- Reconcile supplier statements ensuring queries are identified and resolved in an efficient manner
- Production of US state sales tax returns
- Working closely with UK team and external advisors, manage the US local, state, and federal corporate tax filings and compliance processes
- In tandem with the UK based finance team provide oversight to the US entity P&L and balance sheet
- Being part of wider team providing tax/compliance advice to the sales organisation on more complex deals
- Liaising with external advisors (finance, tax, legal, HR) as necessary
- Assisting with process improvements and training/supporting junior staff, provide cover when team members are on annual leave
- Liaise with purchasing and customer service departments (& other UK based support functions) to help improve processes
- Supporting managers with daily tasks and working to a high standard
What we need from you
- A finance background, with experience of credit control and accounts payable desirable
- Transaction processing experience, in some or all of order-to-cash, procure-to-pay and general accounting functions
- Some local, state & federal tax experience would be beneficial but not required. An aptitude and appetite to develop tax knowledge is required, however
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics (GP) preferable but not mandatory
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills
- A pro-active approach with the ability to show personal drive and enthusiasm and work well within a team
- Strong planning, organisation, and administration skills with an ability to prioritise
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders
- A positive, roll your sleeves up attitude – willing to get involved with other ad-hoc tasks and projects as necessary
Work in a way that works for you
We recognise that everyone is different and that the way in which people want to work and deliver at their best is different for everyone too. In this role, we can offer the following flexible working patterns:
- Working remotely - from home up to 1 day per week, and we are happy to discuss further working from home requests
- Working flexible hours – we are flexible about your start times and end times each day
We offer a good salary and benefits package including a pension scheme, life assurance, healthcare cash plan and access to Perklife, our dedicated portal for all things perks and benefits at Softcat. It’s designed to give you the flexibility and choice to suit your lifestyle and needs - there really is something for everyone. So, whether its activity passes or technology discount vouchers you’re after, or you would prefer to buy extra holiday for yourself or add your partner or family to some of the benefits… it’s entirely up to you. We’ll even give you an extra day’s holiday on top of your usual entitlement on your birthday.